Wood Thilsted is a consulting engineering company specialised in geotechnical and structural engineering within the offshore and onshore renewable energy industry. We are operating globally with projects located inAsia, North America and Northern Europe. We currently employ a staff of 50, working from offices in Denmark, Japan, Taiwan and the UK with a continued growth foreseen in the near future.
As a company, we strive for technical excellence and to provide the best overall value to our clients’ projects. We also aim to have a strong culture based on mutual trust, honesty, knowledge sharing and a good social atmosphere.Due to the success and growth of the company, we are searching for anambitious Design Manager/Engineering Manager preferably with an Engineering background to be a part of the Wood Thilsted team and to support the future development of the company.
We have a number of large detailed design projects in offshore wind, as well as a continuous stream of concept and FEED studies, plus design work on several innovative concepts (outside of the currently accepted foundation concepts for offshore wind) including floating structures. We continue to strengthen the way we manage these diverse projects, implementing state of the art project management thinking, and we are seeking talented people to join the team.
Areas of responsibility
As a Design Manager/Engineering Manager, your main assignments will be to assure that we provide high-quality deliverables with due care to our clients in the offshore wind industry. In your role you will:
- Act as the project manager for the design of foundations for offshore windfarm projects, providing the key interface between the client and the WT technical delivery teams;
- Work closely with primary and secondary structures design teams, coordinating their efforts to ensure your project’s technical design and engineering work is delivered with due regard for schedule, budget and risk profiles;
- Prepare detailed documentation regarding the development of the project schedule, resource/budget plans, risk register and general project management reporting;
- Prepare scope of work, tender and contract documents for engineering activities related to the design and construction of offshore wind turbine foundations;
- Develop relationships with clients and other consultants to maintain/develop our strong network within the industry;
- Collaborate and contribute as a key part of the Wood Thilsted team to deliver world-class solutions to design and engineering challenges across the offshore renewable energy sector.
The primary work location will be one of Bristol, London, Copenhagen or Vejle (Denmark). However, given our teams, clients and projects are spread internationally across Northern Europe, North America and South-East Asia, you may expect some travelling in relation to your work, both nationally and internationally. In addition, there may be opportunity during your employment for long-term or short-term postings abroad.
You should preferably hold a master’s degree or higher in civil, structural, mechanical or geotechnical engineering. You should also have experience overseeing the work of project teams, either in a Technical Coordinator, Package Manager, or overall Project Manager capacity. A qualification in Project Management would be advantageous but is not essential.
It is essential that you:
- Are well organised and able to keep track of multiple aspects of work, re-appraising and re-prioritising activities throughout the project lifecycle as both your team’s availability and the client’s requirements evolve;
- Are able to communicate effectively with colleagues, clients, consultants and contractors through a variety of media, including both web-based telecommunication and face-to-face meetings;
- Are a team player;
- Are pro-active in your efforts to engage with others;
- Demonstrate a strong drive to fulfil your assignments, and a willingness to take the initiative when faced with opportunities to exceed expectations;
- Possess excellent numeracy, literacy, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Have an ability to intentionally vary your level of technical immersion in a subject – to be confident communicating about the woods as well as the trees – to enable you to bridge the gap between detailed technical engineering activities and high-level project- and programme-management activities;
- Are adept at delegating activities to other people, whilst remaining responsible for the upward reporting on the progression of those activities;
- Are fluent in the use of standard office software such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.;
- Have experience driving at least one of the standard Project Management software packages, for example (but not limited to) MS Project, Primavera or Merlin (Mac OS).
Furthermore, it is advantageous if you have experience of some of the following:
- 5+ years relevant experience as a professional engineer, ideally (but not necessarily) in the offshore renewables sector;
- A solid understanding of Client liaison;
- Working within different types of contractual arrangements, for example as a client, as a consultant/contractor, as a collaborative partner, etc.;
- Developing proposals for engineering contracts;
- Fabrication and/or offshore installation processes;
- Project, Programme and Portfolio (P3) Management terminology and methods;
- Primary and/or secondary steel design processes, including relevant design codes and standards such as DNVGL, Eurocode 3, IEO 19902, etc.;
- Certification of detailed design work to DNVGL-ST-0126.
- An appreciation of the current and projected scales of the offshore wind sector, including different turbine and foundation technologies, and the different types of challenges prominent in different regions of the global market;
- Development of bespoke software, especially targeting streamlined/automated processes/reporting workflows.
In return we offer you excellent opportunities to influence your daily work, develop new competences and work on interesting projects.
Apply: Please apply using the link: http://woodthilsted.com/careers/where you will have the opportunity to upload a CV and enter your details for consideration.